Organizes, coordinates, and supervises employees and activities within the fabrication department to ensure an effective and efficient fabrication operation that meets safety, quality, and production standards. Reports to Plant Manager.
- Assigns work to department personnel to attain department objectives using knowledge of production processes, company policies, production schedules, work orders, equipment capacity and employee capabilities.
- Readily perceives and effectively responds to schedules and product flows essential to supervising highly productive, cost-effective, quality-oriented manufacturing operations.
- Establishes and controls procedures to meet production schedules.
- Recommends and initiates improvements to production processes, to increase manufacturing efficiency.
- Establish and control procedures to ensure production of conforming fabricated assembly components.
- Monitors and controls established procedures to ensure compliance with quality standards.
- Establishes and monitors cost control systems to achieve department budget objectives.
- Responsible for compliance with safety and housekeeping requirements.
- Facilitates and promotes company policy and the company Quality Improvement program within all department work groups.
- Provides training, support, direction and guidance to department personnel to continually develop their work habits, job skills and safety practices.
- Evaluates employee performance and accountability.
- Provides objective feedback for continued employee growth.
- Recommends and/or administers personnel actions in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Set department goals and develop outline for achievement.
- May be exposed to excessive noise, welding gases and fumes, and varying weather conditions.
- To work overtime as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering, production management, mechanical engineering, etc.
- 5 years minimum supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Computer literate with experience using e-mail and word processing applications (Microsoft Office).
- Ability to learn and understand software and complete transactions pertaining to fabrication or welding operations, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates ability to supervise diverse work groups in a team environment using effective listening, coaching, training, investigative and problem-solving skills, ability to exercise initiative, sound judgment and effective time management in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision.
- Read and interpret weld process according to AWS and ASME section IX.
- Ability to understand and apply workplace safety procedures.
- Practical knowledge of manufacturing processes and equipment required.
- Proficient in structural/vessel fitting, Mig/Fluxcore/Tig/Subarc welding, manual presses, eye burners, CNC plasma burners (Burny 10), shears, rolls and similar equipment.
- Ability to manipulate tools and assembly components involving fine and gross motor skills sufficient to demonstrate welding job tasks.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend, reach, kneel, twist, pull, push, grip, and climb.