The two pictures above show hydraulic snubbers which are used to limit the velocity of movement of piping systems when sudden accelerations caused by earthquakes, extreme wind loads or water hammer occur. These devices are designed so slow movement, such as would be expected during thermal expansion, has practically no resistance, but sudden rapid movement is resisted with a force proportional to the velocity raised to a power where the power is determined by the orifice valve and flow pattern in the design. Selection of materials and liquids used will depend on the environment where the snubber is installed. The snubber at the bottom has a ball joint attached for linkage with the system it will protect.
Live Pipe Supports Webinar
• Variable Spring Support Design, Size Selection, Installation & Maintenance Webinar
• April 25, 2019 – Thur. – 10 am & 2 pm CDT
*Live Webinars are worth 1 P.E. / PDH Credit for TX Professional EngineersSign Up Now
Piping Design and Analysis Influence on Pipe Support Selection and Design
Surveying a piping system? Need to change a current system?
This course is also great for…
• New Engineers, Management and Operations
• Field, Process, Maintenance and New Engineers
• Piping and Piping System Designers and/or Instructors
*This online course is approved for 8 hrs. P.E. Credits